Thursday, February 16, 2006

Traveling DINK

I've been traveling in Europe this week - Germany and the UK. The Boy has been traveling a bit as well in the US while I've been gone. With only the cat to take care of at this point, it makes me wonder what folks with kids do when opportunities or requirements of this nature arise? What arrangements, if any, can those with kids make?

Maybe that's why most of the middle managers and execs in my office are (A) men and (B) have wives who stay home with their children. In order to make life "work" in a relationship like that, does it require that one partner give up their own ambitions and travel opportunities to keep the home fires burning?

I guess that's why The Boy and I just have the cat. Those are sacrifices I'm not willing to make. It's an easy decision since I don't have the kids and love them to pieces. I might feel differently if I did, of course.

At this point, though, I'm content to work hard and often and take my travel opportunities when I can get them.

I will say, though, that I'm not against the concept of a "wife." I think every relationship should have one (lol)--someone to be there when the electrician comes round, to pick up dry cleaning and do all the shopping. Someone to comfort emotionally and physically, to support and be your champion. (and all for the relatively cheap price of nothing.) Yes, who wouldn't want an assistant like that?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home